Monday, January 28, 2013

Soreness anyone?

Yesterday was a good day as far as food and exercise was concerned.

I stayed right on goal with my food.

Breakfast was a cheese stick (I was out of produce for juice), then a bit later cold oatmeal made with PB, unsweetened cocoa powder and real maple syrup.

Before lunch I ran to Meijer to get produce and do some light grocery shopping. By the time I got home I was famished. I had bought some pomegranates a week prior and I hadnt used them yet so even though I was starving, I still took the time to clean one out. The best way to do that without looking like you went thru a bloody massacre is to get a big bowl of water, cut the pomegranate in half, dunk one half under the water and slowly start to dissect all the seeds out. The seeds float to the bottom and the skin and pulpy stuff around the seeds float to the top for easy scooping and removal.

For lunch I had half of the pomegranate and a hard boiled egg.

Dinner I had some boiled carrots, a few crackers, and some spinach dip.

Then I went downstairs and did my upper back with weights. Biceps, triceps, lots of shoulder work. And I knew I said no running but I thought "Oh I can get on the elliptical and run for 10 minutes". So I jumped on and I started and my legs said "ah no!". So I got back off and called it a night in the workout room. Yup. My legs are a BIT more sore than what I thought. LOL.

Instead I went outside and shoveled. We had a good 1"-2" down already and I thought I would help Aaron out so he didnt have as much to do this morning before he goes to work. I kept my HRM on and going the whole time so I could get a calorie read.

It took be about an hour to shovel. So in 1:35 I only burned 382 calories.

The thing that sort of frustrates me is that MyFitnessPal allows you to add strength exercises but then doesnt show it as exercise because you arent burning major calories. Such a bummer! It is like doing the work but not getting paid for it. And it isnt like I eat the extra calories I burn anyways but dang it, I like to see the numbers change!!

I did have some more cheese and crackers last night and a piece of string cheese after my workout. Oh and Aaron and I finally watched Kevin Bacon's new show The Following. Has anyone watched that? It is going to be a really good show I think!

This morning I weighed in at 156.5. Up another pound. Not from lack of exercise or eating bad. I am ok with it. I weight train, I gain a little bit of weight. No biggie. I'm sore so it is probably lactic acid buildup in my legs and now my upper body. That should be taken care of tonight.

Tonight is working with Eric. As always I will run before hand and then work my legs with him and then walk again to stretch them back out. I will probably get in 6-7 miles or so. We shall see how my legs feel when it actually comes time to run.

When I was at Meijer yesterday, I walked past their eye care center and they were having a sale on glasses, contacts and the eye exams. I desperately need new glasses and contacts! In fact, I am completely out of contacts for my right eye and have been having to wear my glasses. And the problem with my glasses is that when I got them I had a scratch resistant coating put on them (because of the kids) and that is now starting to peel off here or there. I wont be paying for that again I can tell you!

ANYWAYS...the only day that the eye doctor comes in to that location is on Wednesday SO I am going to have to reschedule with Eric. I am STILL thinking it is going to be a moot point because I think his wife will be having the baby by then but we will see. I will just have to remember to tell Eric tonight- Just in Case! I still plan on going to the gym Wed night, just not until after my eye appt.

Ok so here is my meal layout for the day:

Breakfast- AB juice and this time I added some pomegranate to it. Awesome but I def had to strain it because of the seeds. Later will be an English Muffin with PB. In fact, now that I am thinking about it, I wonder if eating the pomegranate had anything to do with some of the weight gain. Not all of it surely but I dont think the body can digest those seeds...hmmm....anyways...

Lunch- scallions, hard boiled egg, apple with PB

Dinner (pre workout)- some of my pad thai  I want the carbs before I go running

Snack post workout- cheese stick

Thats about all the excitingness in my world.

On a personal note, would you please say some prayers for my sorority sister Tina and her husband Mike. Last week Mike was rushed to the hospital by ambulance with severe pneumonia. He is now on a ventilator, is in critical condition and his heart is working at only 15%. They are trying to figure out what is going on with his heart in order to correct it. He is also in a medically induced coma. They have three very small children (the youngest being 5-6 months) and they need their daddy to be there for them.

I totally believe in the power of prayer so if you do too, please pray for them.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it. And please make sure you hug your loved ones a little longer because you never know what the next minute may bring.

Have a wonderful Snowy Monday! We have a snow day here today!

Tip of the Day: Again from Juicing Vegetables on FB. I know I am on a kick, but I love the info they put out there!

Here are 9 of my favorite benefits of avocados!

1. Beta-sitosterol

Beta-sitosterol is a compound that may prevent the absorption of cholesterol and naturally works with the body to promote cardiovascular health.

2. Fiber

Avocados are packed with fiber. One avocado provides up to 34% of the Daily Value for dietary fiber. Avocados provide soluble  and insoluble fiber. Soluble fiber is great and beneficial because it actually picks up excess cholesterol  from the body and the insoluble fiber prevents constipation.

3. Folate

Folate is an important B6 vitamin. It’s linked to the prevention of cancer and heart disease in adults. Folate is also a necessary for pregnant women since it is necessary and essential for healthy brain development of babies and folate also reduces nausea that is associated with pregnancy.

4. Glutathione

Glutathione functions as an antioxidant. This compound may neutralize free radicals that can damage cells.

5. Magnesium

Magnesium reduces discomfort that is associated with premenstrual symptoms, migraines, anxiety. Magnesium may help reverse osteoporosis, help with cardiovascular disease, regulates high blood pressure, and may help with diabetes.

 6. Oleic Acid

Oleic acid is a type of monounsaturated fat that has been linked to lowering cholesterol levels. Monounsaturated fats are also promotes healthy heart. This type of fat also helps lower triglycerides in the bloods with is great for people who have diabetes.

7. Potassium

Avocado contains 30% more potassium than one banana. Potassium is important in regulation blood pressure and preventing circulatory.

8. Absorption of nutrients and enzymes

The nutrients and enzymes in avocado soothes the condition of inflamed mucous lining in the stomach and small intestines.  It also improves the body’s ability to absorb carotenoids and nutrients.

9. Antioxidants and Vitamins

Avocados are rich in antioxidants which is helpful in preventing free radicals. Avocados also contain vitamin E which protects the skin, lutein which keeps the eyes safe from oxidative stress, macular degeneration and cataracts.

2 comments:

  1. I'll definitely say some prayers. Keep us up to date with how he is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely keeping that family in my thoughts and prayers!
    I just put avocado on my grocery list for tomorrow :)

    ReplyDelete