Monday, January 23, 2012

Determination

Today I was asked to write about what motivates me. I touched on "what inspires you" a while ago, but one blog that I read regularly: Runs for Cookies, hit the nail on the head.

It isn't really motivation, but determination that will help you be successful with weight loss.

You may be motivated to lose weight to fit into a dress that you have seen, but then you may see a plate of cookies, and your stomach speaks over your brain. You give into the cookies and forget about the dress.

Determination is when you say no to the cookies because you really, really want that dress and will do anything to get it!

So what do you do when you wake up in the morning or don't feel like exercising? Go do it anyways. You need to be determined to reach your goal. Usually the first 5 minutes of a workout is the hardest. After that, its cake. At least that is how it is with me and the treadmill. At first I am a little achy, a little stiff, then I get into my music and just go.

Now you can use motivation as you go along to get you to your goal. I mentioned previously about setting small goals with a prize at the end to help serve as motivation. For example: If you are trying to lose weight, set goals every 10-15 lbs lost. Once you lose 10 lbs treat yourself to something like a manicure or pedicure...NOT FOOD! Ha.

Soon, your body will start changing and you will start feeling better and your determination will bet stronger and treats won't be necessary so often.

Once I made my decision to lose weight, I was determined to to lose the weight. I may have a relapse and not eat well one day or a weekend, I may have gained a couple pounds back, but I just corrected myself and kept going. I was losing the weight for me...not for anyone else.

This time, once I made my decision to try and lose my stomach and tone my body, I upped all my exercise to get the best results possible in my 6 month time frame. It IS a little harder for me this time. I am no longer dropping sizes like I did when I lost weight. I also am not losing weight but staying steady and constant. That's fine with me. I am staying determined with this goal because I am seeing little changes- not when I look in the mirror, but when I do a crunch, I can get up higher. Or how I can now do a full side plank and hold it. Before I was never able to side plank with both legs out.

I also am motivated because I want to see the results when I take a 30 day picture after week 4 of P90X. Right now I don't see changes because I look in the mirror everyday. I am my own worst critic.

I am determined to shrink my stomach. Whatever means necessary.

I am also staying motivated because I have set a small personal goal. If I complete the P90X program then I will reward myself with 12 personal training sessions.

I am also motivated to get to the gym because I love the people there...instructors, employees and fellow gym peeps. We are truly a family and it makes exercising A LOT of fun. If you can't afford, or don't want, a gym membership, I suggest getting a work out buddy. Someone you can either workout with or be accountable to.

Another thing that motivates me...and it is silly, but hey, whatever works!...is my heart rate monitor. I love working out to see how many calories I burn. You would be surprised how hard you push yourself when you can glance down and SEE the hard work of calories burned on your watch. The key is not to go home and consume all the calories you just burned. Ha.

I also get motivated by watching "the Biggest Loser", Mtv's "I Used to be Fat", and also surfing thru Pinterest to see other peoples weight loss success stories, and motivational sayings (like the one I posted above).

I read blogs about people who are trying to lose weight and I want to be a support to them. That keeps me motivated and determined to stay on the right track.

And to quote a fellow blogger who inspires me and keeps me motivated:

"I guess the whole point of this post is that if there is something you want, don't wait for motivation to push you through (because it won't)--find the determination inside of you and DO IT! No excuses ;)" by SlimKatie at Runs for Cookies

And one of my favorite determination quotes:

"Obstacles don't have to stop you. If you run into a wall, don't turn around and give up. Figure out how to climb it, go through it, or work around it." Michael Jordon

Tip of the day:


4 comments:

  1. Where do you find the weight-loss stories on Pinterest? I can't find them! I'm LindaK71 there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. People post before and after pictures on Pinterest and I click on them. Normally it links to their blog and story. I am on there too. I will see if I can find you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and I go to Pinterest under the fitness category...if that helps.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ANNNNDDDD...I am following your boards now. You should be able to see me and follow mine back! LOL

    ReplyDelete